Saturday, August 7, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten and 4th Grade




Well this was a big week!! The kids enjoyed their visit from Binky Ben but there was another big event this week... the first day of school. Ellie is always excited about school. She never seems to get tired of it. This year was no exception. She wanted to pack her lunch a week in advance and she had her outfit picked out to wear... she was all ready to go. This year was a little more exciting because Ethan would be joining her at school. Yes, Ethan is five and it's already time for him to start kindergarten. I can't believe it!! Ethan is a little different from his sister. He just doesn't share in the level of enthusiasm that Ellie has for everything. He also likes to sleep a little later so 6:45 just comes much too early for him. I was well organized on the morning of August 5, the kids clothes were laid out, lunchboxes were packed and I even had my camera ready to go. Ethan took a little coaxing to wake up but he finally got it together. Ellie was ready in 5 minutes. We had waffles for breakfast and brushed hair and teeth... we were ready to go. Ellie had her brand new outfit on and Ethan chose to wear his favorite Super Mario Brothers tshirt... not mom's first pick but it's his day. Dad was going to join us for the momentus occasion so he chose to go in a little late for work. Before we headed out the door Brandon said a prayer with Ethan and Ellie praying for them and their teachers. Eli thought it was absolutely necessary that he also bring a backpack and lunchbox. So everyone gathered up their stuff and we headed off to school. I was holding back tears the whole way there. I managed to control myself as we made it in the front doors of the school. As we make our way to the red hallway where the kindergarten classrooms are Ethan looks up at me and says "I got it from here, Mom." I insisted on following him to the classroom despite his eagerness to be sooo independent. I was able to steal a kiss at the doorway to his classroom and then I loosened my grip on my baby who insists upon growing up. I walked away as his teacher was showing him where to hang up his backpack. These things make my heart hurt but I know it is inevitable. I only have one baby left at home with me. Eli has two more years before he starts. You know what I dread most though...it's not kindergarten, t's their Senior year. I'm just not going to think about it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment