Monday, August 6, 2012

First day jitters


So today, August 6, 2012, was the first day of school! Look at this picture...can you tell who's NOT excited about going to school.

So for Ellie it was the first day of sixth grade and she moved to the middle school this year.  No more little kid stuff we are a preteen now.  We straightened her hair, picked out a cute outfit and wore jewelry today.  She was very excited about all the new things to come.  She hopped out of the car and went in the school all by herself.  She had to get her schedule and find out her homeroom class with no help from mom.  She did want me to come with her and although I would have gone I felt that it was best for her to learn how to do these things on her own. It's hard for mom's to let go but sometimes we have to loosen our grip. Of course, everything turned out just fine.  She liked her teachers and was happy with her schedule.  She was mostly excited that she gets a locker this year and she wants to decorate the inside. Oh, what a care free life!  Tomorrow she starts band, she says she wants to play percussion but I'm not sure her family genes will provide her with enough coordination for that job.  We will continue to update you on future sixth grade adventures.

Ethan began second grade this year.  His teacher's name is Mrs. Page.  Ethan was not excited about anything to do with school this morning.  As a matter of fact he complained with a stomach ache and asked to stay home. After we dropped Ellie off we moved on to the Elementary school to take the boys.  Dad and I walked Ethan to his class first. He was very hesitant as he walked in but I knew he would be fine so we continued on to the kindergarten hallway.  Of course, I find out later that things weren't all that great once I left.  He said he missed me a little and I think he got just a little upset.  Ethan is 7 and I am learning that this must be the transition age from being a baby boy to being a big boy.  There are still some tears shed and sometimes a cuddle from mom is needed but he fights the tears AND the cuddles from mom for the most part. Raising a young man is hard.  By the end of the day he accepted that another year of school is inevitable so he's content.  He did find out that he was accepted into spotlight which is an honors program and he was really pumped about that. Mom and Dad are pretty proud of that accomplishment also!

Eli has a big year ahead of him! He began kindergarten this year.  Yes, he's my baby.  There are no more kiddos at home with mom... sniff, sniff.  Eli was PUMPED about kindergarten.  He was up at 4:30 A.M. but I made him go back to bed.  Finally, a couple of hours later it was time to get up and get ready.  Eli was ready to go. He had his camo backpack and Batman lunchbox and he was ready.  After dropping Ethan off we headed to the red kindergarten hallway to go to Mrs. Davenport's room.  He marched in and found his cubby.  He proudly put away his things and said where do I sit?  After taking a couple of pics with his teacher he plopped down in a seat and was ready to conquer the world of kindergarten. No tears or sad goodbyes.  He just simply said "Bye, Mom" and I left fighting back the tears. 

After that 3 o' clock couldn't get here fast enough.  I wanted to hear about the first day and all that happened.  I got good reports from everyone and there was no major homework today. I'm so excited to see how the school year unfolds.  I pray for happy, healthy kids and soooo thankful that my God's name is Immanuel, "God with us" so that I know that when I can't be with my children He will always be by their side.  What a comfort that is to me! I love you, Ellie, Ethan and Eli and I am sooo proud of all of you!





No comments:

Post a Comment