Saturday, July 24, 2010

Through the eye of a needle

Well, say goodbye to the minivan. I have been through a lot with the ole girl but she's going to a family with four children now. I'm currently between vehicles and we will be shopping around for something that fits more within our budget. Brandon and I are trying to do God's will according to our finances. We will either have to do without or do with a little less. You would think giving up the minivan wouldn't be that big of a deal unless you are a busy mom with multiple children then you might understand the convenience of my Honda Odyssey a little more. So I am looking to God for His perspective. "And the world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God abides forever." 1 John 2:17 So here is a verse God showed me... pretty self explanatory. My house, my car, my clothes, my youth, and so on and so on; these things are passing away they won't last forever. We all know that these things won't last forever but we still try to hold on to them. So I have some work to do in this area. I need to start building up my treasures in heaven... "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures upon earth where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." I want my heart to be with my Heavenly Father and I don't need money for His treasures. Jesus stamped PAID IN FULL on that debt! Do I hear an AMEN!!!



I read the story about the rich young man who wanted to know exactly how to get to heaven (Matthew 19: 16-26) and Jesus told him to sell all he had and he would have his treasure in heaven. Unfortunately, this was a hard pill for this young man to swallow. Jesus told his disciples that it would be harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than a camel to go through the eye of a needle. After pondering this story and realizing how hard it might be for me to let go of certain worldly possessions (my van) I find myself discouraged and disappointed in myself. However, Jesus goes on to say that "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." So now my less than skinny behind is going through the eye of the needle because I know God is in control. Thank you, Lord, for making this life on earth a journey to learn these lessons and to get to know you better!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that Mary Beth! I think all of us need work in this area, and it is one of the most often overlooked!

    ReplyDelete